Take a look at my Instagram and you’ll see that I love to travel. This is nothing new, I’ve always suffered from the desire to wander but lately, what I take with me has changed significantly. I take so much less. Maximising my luggage allowance always seemed likethe the necessary thing to do because I’d want to take as much as possible away with me, you know – just in case.
Travelling lighter has happened gradually as a result of owning less clothes and becoming more mindful about what I actually need – you can read more about that here. Gradually, my supersize case became emptier to the point where now I only need my carry on suitcase. This was finally confirmed to me in March when I managed to pack it for a week of skiing and even had room for my ski boots. So, I sold my big suitcase and now I only take my carry on wherever I go. Because this is unusual, people struggle to understand it but I can’t imagine ever going back. Here comes my defence.
Ten reasons why I love travelling light
1. It’s cheaper. If you only take what you actually need whilst you’re away, I guarantee you’ll not be tempted to do anywhere near as much shopping that you would normally do in the lead up.
2. No more stressful weigh-ins the night before you leave. Lugging my case into the bathroom and trying to elegantly balance it on my scales whilst checking the weight at the same time, isn’t something I miss. I never have to worry about my case being overweight now so I never bother weighing it. One less thing to worry about.
3. Less time spent thinking about what to pack. If your goal shifts from creatively packing a suitcase with as much as possible to only taking the necessities, the time required to do so reduces significantly. All this time you get back for you!
4. The airport is a breeze. I feel so sorry for all those people struggling with mountains of luggage – they don’t know what they’re missing.
5. Baggage fees don’t apply to you. I have fallen foul to this so many times both going away and coming home. It puts me in the worst mood when I have to pay extra because my luggage is overweight.
6. There’s a strong feeling of freedom that comes from travelling with less, which I love.
7. Choosing what to wear is easy when our choice is limited. Yes please!
8. Less time spent thinking about what outfit to wear. I don’t even want to think about all the precious time I have wasted planning outfits and choosing what to wear when I should’ve been out and about enjoying every minute of the holiday.
9. You’ll feel so much calmer. Not being physically weighed down with loads of stuff has a really positive impact on my mood. I enjoy the experience so much more.
10. Less laundry when we get home. Everyone hates this, right? I knew someone who hated it so much she would send all the contents of her suitcases to a cleaning service where it would be washed and ironed before it was returned neatly folded in piles. My laundry is done in a couple of washes max when I get back.
So, maybe bear these benefits in mind when you’re packing for your next trip. Focus on the real joy of travelling – the experience. All the stuff you take with you doesn’t mean anything compared to the memories you bring back. Focus on making those.
To get started, think about what you actually wore on your last trip – maybe browse through your photos if you forgot. What did you actually wear? What did you take with you but bring back unworn or unused? Think of all the time and money you could save by simplifying and travelling lighter. I’m off to Paris next weekend, so I’ll be sure to expand on this post and let you know what I take in my tiny suitcase.